Removal & Installation
The ignition switch attaches to the lock cylinder housing on the end opposite the lock cylinder. For ignition switch terminal and circuit identification, refer to the Wiring Diagrams section.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative cable and wait 2 minutes for the Air Bag system reserve capacitor to discharge.
Remove the Knee Blocker Airbag, as follows:
- Remove the steering column opening cover two retaining screws and unsnap cover from instrument panel.
- Remove four knee blocker airbag retaining bolts from airbag.
- Pull down knee blocker airbag and disconnect the one electrical connector.
- Remove knee blocker airbag from vehicle.
Remove the Instrument Panel Center Bezel, as follows:
- Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the locking tabs attaching instrument panel center bezel right and/or left side.
- Remove ignition switch bezel.
Remove the instrument panel center bezel(s) from the vehicle.
- Remove the 2 switch mounting nuts.
- Loosen the rear mounting nut.
Slide the assembly rearward.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition Switch and SKREEM Module.
Remove the interlock cable by depressing the locking tab and pulling straight out.
- Remove ignition switch mounting screw.
Squeeze the 2 locking tabs to remove ignition switch from the lockhousing.
A tab on the ignition switch indexes to a notch in the lock cylinder housing. Also, a slot in the end of the ignition switch fits over the shaft in the end of the lock cylinder housing. Use the ignition key to rotate the lock cylinder to align the ignition switch with lock cylinder housing.
- Tighten the mounting screw, refer to the torque chart for specification.
- Attach electrical connector to SKREEM Module.
- Attach electrical connector to ignition switch.
- Install the interlock cable into the switch assembly.
- Install switch assembly into the instrument panel. Make sure that the rear mounting nut is in the correct position and.
- Tighten the 3 mounting nuts to 30 inch lbs. (34 Nm).
Install the Instrument panel center bezel, as follows:
- Place instrument panel center bezel(s) right and left side into position.
- Apply pressure on instrument panel center bezel right and/or left side to engage the locking tabs. Install ignition switch bezel.
Install the knee blocker airbag, as follows.
- Place the knee blocker airbag into position in the instrument panel opening.
- Connect the one electrical connector.
- Install the four knee blocker airbag retaining bolts into the airbag.
- Position the steering column opening cover over retaining slots and firmly snap into place. Install the two retaining screws.
Before disconnecting the battery cable, perform the following:
- With the battery negative remote cable disconnected, connect a suitable scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
- Turn the ignition key to the ON position, then exit vehicle with the scan tool.
- After checking that no one is inside the vehicle, connect the battery negative remote terminal.
- Read and record the ACTIVE Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) data.
- Read and record any STORED DTC's.
- If the airbag warning lamp either fails to light, or goes ON and stays ON, there is a system malfunction.
- Connect the negative cable.