Start-Up Procedure After Power Steering Pump Or Gear Service
The fluid level should be checked and adjusted with engine off to prevent injury from moving engine components.
Use only Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid (MS-9602) in power steering system. Use of other Mopar® power steering fluids (MS5931 and MS9933) should be avoided to ensure peak performance of the power steering system under all operating conditions. Do not overfill.
- Read the fluid level through the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. The fluid level should be within -FILL RANGE- when the fluid is at a temperature of approximately 70-80°F (21-27°C).
- Wipe the filler cap and area clean, then remove the cap.
- Fill the fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two (2) minutes.
- Start the engine and let run for a few seconds, then turn the engine off.
- Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above steps until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground.
- Start the engine.
- Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
- Add fluid if necessary.
- Lower the vehicle, then turn the steering wheel slowly from lock-to-lock.
- Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
- If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stabilize a few minutes, then repeat the above procedure.