Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in the Chassis Electrical section.
- Place front wheels of vehicle in STRAIGHT-AHEAD position.
Disconnect battery negative (-) cable from battery post and isolate.
CAUTIONWhen an undeployed airbag module is to be removed from the vehicle, first disconnect the battery negative (ground) cable and isolate it. Then allow the system capacitor to discharge for a minimum of two minutes before beginning airbag removal.
- Remove driver airbag mounting screws.
- Lift airbag from mount and disconnect two airbag squib connectors and horn connector. Remove driver airbag.
- Disconnect speed control wiring connector at clockspring (center terminal).
- Remove steering wheel retaining nut.
- Remove damper.
Remove steering wheel using standard wheel puller.
- Remove speed control switches from steering wheel by unfastening the retaining nuts and detaching the electrical connector.
Remove remote audio switches from steering wheel, as follows:
- Unplug the wire harness connector from the remote radio switch (s).
- Remove steering wheel rear cover.
Remove the remote radio switch from the steering wheel by depressing tabs on each side of each switch.
NOTEThe right remote radio switch back is white in color. The left switch back is black in color. The right/left remote radio switch orientation is with the steering wheel installed, and driver in drivers seat.
- Install remote audio control switches on steering wheel.
- Install speed control switches on steering wheel.
- Match splines on steering wheel hub with that on steering shaft and slide steering wheel onto column shaft.
- Install damper on steering wheel.
- Install steering wheel retaining bolt. Tighten bolt to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Connect speed control wiring connector at clockspring.
- Connect two airbag squib connectors and horn connector to driver airbag.
- Place driver airbag on steering wheel and install mounting screws. Tighten screws to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
Before disconnecting the battery cable, perform the following:
- With the battery negative remote cable disconnected, connect a suitable scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
- Turn the ignition key to the ON position, then exit vehicle with the scan tool.
- After checking that no one is inside the vehicle, connect the battery negative remote terminal.
- Read and record the ACTIVE Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) data.
- Read and record any STORED DTC's.
- If the airbag warning lamp either fails to light, or goes ON and stays ON, there is a system malfunction.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check operation of horn, speed control and remote audio controls.