Removal & Installation
3.5L & 4.0L Engines
The rocker arm shafts are hollow and are used as lubrication oil passages. The rocker arm and shaft assembly on the RIGHT side of the engine has an oil passage hole from the cylinder head to the third rocker shaft support. The rocker arm shaft assembly on the LEFT side of the engine has an oil passage hole from the cylinder head to the second rocker shaft support.
- Remove cylinder head covers.
- Identify the rocker arm assembly and rocker arms before disassembly.
- Remove rocker arm assembly bolts.
Remove rocker arm assembly.
NOTETo prevent air ingestion into lash adjusters, avoid turning rocker arm assembly upside down.
WARNINGDo not allow rocker arm assembly to rest on lash adjusters, as damage may occur to lash adjusters and/or plastic retainers.
Rocker arm and shaft assembly can be installed either prior to or after (preferred) cylinder head installation.
- Rotate the camshafts so the lobes are in a neutral position (no load to the valve). This will allow the rocker arm shaft assembly to be tightened into position with little or no valve spring load on it.
- Install the rocker arm and shaft assembly making sure that the identification marks face toward the front of engine for left head and toward the rear of the engine for right head.
- Tighten rocker arm/shaft assembly bolts in sequence to 275 inch lbs. (31 Nm).
Install cylinder head covers.
Remove the cylinder head cover(s).
NOTERocker arm shaft bolts are captured to the shaft.
- Loosen the rocker shaft bolts , rotating one turn each, until all valve spring pressure is relieved.
- Remove the rocker arms and shaft assembly.
Ensure the longer shaft retaining bolt is installed in the proper location on the rocker shaft.
Position the rocker arm and shaft assemblies on the pedestal mounts.
WARNINGEnsure all pushrods are properly located on the lifter and the rocker arm socket.
Align each rocker arm socket with each pushrod end.
WARNINGThe rocker arm shaft should be tightened down slowly, starting with the center bolts. Allow 20 minutes lifter bleed down time after installation of the rocker shafts before engine operation.
- Slowly tighten rocker shaft bolts evenly until shaft is seated. Tighten bolts to 200 inch lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the cylinder head cover(s).