Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove both front wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove nut attaching outer tie rod to steering knuckle by holding rod end stud stationary while loosening and removing nut with a wrench.
Remove tie rod end from steering knuckle using Remover, Special Tool C-3894-A.
WARNINGWhen removing nut from stud of stabilizer bar link, do not allow stud to rotate in its socket. Hold stud from rotating by placing an open-end wrench on flat machined into stud.
- Remove stabilizer bar links from each end of stabilizer bar. To do so, place an open-end wrench on flat machined into link's mounting stud, then remove nut while holding wrench in place. Push each stud out of hole in stabilizer bar.
If equipped with the 4.0L engine, remove the heat shield.
- Remove stabilizer bar cushion retainers as follows:
- Remove stabilizer bar out through right wheel opening by carefully rotating bar up-and-down, and back-and-forth as necessary.
When installing stabilizer bar, make sure it installed so that bar curves upward at ends to meet stabilizer links.
Insert stabilizer bar over cradle through right front wheel opening in reverse direction it was removed in. Ensure bar gets routed in front of brake tubes on cradle.
NOTEWhen installing cushion retainers, make sure shielded retainer is installed on right side with shield pointing forward.
NOTEIf equipped with the 4.0L engine, when installing the cushion retainers be sure that the shielded retainer is installed on the right side with the shield pointing forward.
- Install cushions on stabilizer bar utilizing slits in cushions. Install each cushion so its slit faces forward and flat side is positioned toward cradle once installed.
- Install retainers on cushions. Make sure retainer with shield is placed over right cushion with shield facing forward.
- Slide stabilizer bar forward engaging slotted holes on retainers with retainer mounting bolts in cradle.
Install rear retainer mounting bolts. Tighten all four retainer mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
NOTEOnce retainer bolts are tightened, make sure heat shields are not bent or mis-positioned.
- On 4.0L engine, install the heat shield. Tighten the retaining screws to 35 inch lbs.
Install each stabilizer bar link mounting stud through hole in each end of stabilizer bar.
WARNINGWhen installing nut on mounting stud of stabilizer bar link, do not allow stud to rotate in its socket. Hold stud stationary by placing an open-end wrench on flat machined into stud.
- Hand-thread nut on end of each stabilizer bar link studs. Then hold studs from turning by placing an open-end wrench on flat machined into each link's mounting stud, then tighten each nut. Tighten each nut to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Install outer tie rods to steering knuckles. Start NEW nut onto stud of each outer tie rod. Start nut onto tie rod stud. While holding stud stationary using a socket, tighten nut using a wrench. Using a crowfoot wrench on a torque wrench, tighten nut to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Then, tighten nut an additional 1 / 2 (180°) turn after that torque is met.
- Install tire and wheel assembly. Tighten wheel mounting nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm) torque.
- Lower vehicle.