This vehicle is equipped with permanently sealed front wheel bearings. There is no periodic lubrication or maintenance recommended for these units.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove wheel mounting nuts, then tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove cotter pin , lock and spring washer from halfshaft stub shaft.
With aid of a helper applying brakes to keep front hub from turning, remove hub nut and washer.
- Access and remove front brake rotor.
- Disconnect vehicle wiring harness connector from wheel speed sensor connector.
Unclip wheel speed sensor connector and routing clip from frame rail outer reinforcement.
Remove screw fastening wheel speed sensor routing bracket to strut assembly.
Open routing clip at knuckle and remove wheel speed sensor cable.
- Push in on end of halfshaft stub shaft, pushing its splines out of hub splines.
- Remove four hub and bearing mounting bolts from rear of steering knuckle.
Remove hub and bearing with wheel speed sensor from steering knuckle.
- Install hub and bearing onto halfshaft stub shaft and into steering knuckle until squarely seated on face of steering knuckle.
- Install four hub and bearing mounting bolts from rear of knuckle. Progressively and equally tighten all four mounting bolts using a crisscross pattern. Tighten mounting bolts to 45 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
- Place wheel speed sensor cable grommet in clip at knuckle. Close clip.
- Attach wheel speed sensor routing bracket to strut assembly. Install and tighten screw to115 inch lbs. (13 Nm).
- Clip wheel speed sensor connector and routing clip to frame rail outer reinforcement.
- Connect vehicle wiring harness to wheel speed sensor connector.
- Install brake rotor, then install disc brake caliper and adapter assembly.
- Verify that wheel speed sensor is not routed improperly allowing cable to come in contact with brake rotor or other moving parts.
- Install washer and hub nut on end of halfshaft stub shaft. With aid of a helper applying brakes to keep front hub from turning, tighten hub nut to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm).
- Install spring washer and hub nut lock over hub nut and stub shaft. Install a NEW cotter pin securing nut lock in place and tightly wrap cotter pin prongs around nut lock.
- Install tire and wheel assembly. Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Lower vehicle.
- Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.
- Check and adjust brake fluid level as necessary.
- Perform wheel alignment.