The fuel system is under constant pressure even with engine off. Until the fuel pressure has been properly relieved from the system, do not attempt to open the fuel system. Do not smoke or use open flames/sparks when servicing the fuel system. Wear protective clothing and eye protection. Make sure the area in which the vehicle is being serviced is in a well ventilated area.
- Release the fuel pressure.
- Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable at battery.
Remove fuel tank.
WARNINGClean the area around fuel pump module prior to removal. Make sure this area is free of dirt. Failure to clean fuel pump area prior to removal may cause dirt to get into the fuel system causing damage to the fuel system and/or engine.
- Clean the area around fuel pump module with suitable cleaner and dry with low pressure filtered compressed air.
- Disconnect vapor line and electrical connector.
Remove module lock ring.
NOTEUse a brass punch to remove the 1 / 4 turn lock ring.
- Remove module top.
- Drain fuel from fuel tank with approved siphoning equipment, store fuel in approved fuel container.
The wire connector to the passenger side level sensor needs to be disconnected before removing the reservoir from the tank.
Remove return line from pump module. Use a small screwdriver to pry tab back and tip hose to one side. Pry tab on other side back to release hose.
WARNINGCare should be taken to not crack/break the locking tabs or supply line fitting.
- Remove fuel line from top of the pump module. Use a small screwdriver to pry tab back and tip hose to one side. Pry the tab on other side back to release hose.
- Tip fuel pump module on its side to remove fuel from reservoir.
Remove fuel pump module.
- Disconnect electrical connector for fuel level sending card.
- Remove fuel level sending card by prying on locking tab and pulling card down toward bottom of the pump module.
- There are 2 locking tabs on sending card; one on the front and one on back.
- Install fuel level sending card to module.
Connect electrical connector for fuel level sending card.
WARNINGThe fuel pump module top and bottom need to be correctly installed in order for the fuel level to be on the correct side of the fuel tank. If installed incorrectly, the fuel level arm will not be in the correct position inside the fuel tank and cause as inaccurate reading.
Install module top short rod to the module bottom and the module top long rod to the module bottom for proper orientation of the module within the fuel tank. When the fuel pump module is installed inside the fuel tank the fuel level arm will be facing toward the rear of the fuel tank.
NOTEUse a brass punch to Install the 1 / 4 turn lock ring. Make sure all 5 tabs are properly seated.
- Install module into the tank with the level unit towards rear of tank.
- Install a new seal onto the tank, making sure seal is properly seated in tank groove.
- Install module lock ring.
- Connect vapor line and electrical connector.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable, tighten the nut to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- Fill the fuel tank. Use the scan tool to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks.