Power Door Locks
Diagnosis & Testing
Door Lock Motor
Any diagnosis of the power lock system should begin with the use of the diagnostic tool.
For complete circuit diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information.
- Verify battery condition before testing door lock motor(s).
- To determine which motor is faulty, check each individual door for electrical lock and unlock or disconnect the motor connectors one at a time, while operating the door lock switch. In the event that none of the motors work, the problem may be caused by a shorted motor or a faulty switch. Disconnecting the faulty motor will allow the others to work.
- To test an individual door lock motor, disconnect the electrical connector from the motor. To lock the door, connect a fused 12 volt power source to the positive pin of the lock motor and a ground wire to the other pin. To unlock the door reverse the wire connections at the motor pin terminals. If these results are not obtained, replace the door latch.
- Visually inspect the switch for proper installation. Make sure it is seated on the rear of the key cylinder, with the tab of the door key cylinder properly aligned with the slot on the door cylinder lock switch.
Disconnect the switch at the harness connector and check the resistance in each switch position.
WARNINGDo not disconnect the switch from the rear of the door key cylinder. This switch is a one time use switch. Once it is removed from the rear of the switch, it is not reusable and must be replaced. Test the switch at the harness connector.
Door Lock Switch
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Remove the door trim panel.
- Peel back the water deflector to expose switch.
- Close the door window.
- Disconnect the door cylinder lock switch wire connector from the door harness, and wiring clip from the security shield.
- Remove the switch from the key cylinder in the door handle and remove from vehicle.
- Install the switch on the key cylinder in the door handle. Ensure that switch is in 12 O'clock position.
- Route wire down through link rods.
- Install three clips to security shield.
- Connect wire harness connector.
- Install the door trim panel.
- Connect the battery negative cable.
- Verify system operation.