This vehicle is equipped with permanently sealed rear wheel bearings. There is no periodic lubrication or maintenance recommended for these units.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove wheel mounting nuts, then tire and wheel assembly.
If equipped with AWD:
- Remove cotter pin, nut lock and spring washer from half shaft.
- While a helper applies brakes to keep hub from turning, remove hub nut and washer.
Remove brake caliper and rotor from hub and bearing assembly.
- Disconnect vehicle wiring harness connector at wheel speed sensor connector.
- Unclip wheel speed sensor connector from spare tire mounting support.
- Disconnect two sensor cable routing clips on rear suspension crossmember.
- Disconnect two sensor cable routing clips along toe link.
Disconnect sensor cable from bracket on brake support.
Completely loosen, but do not remove four bolts fastening hub and bearing in place. Once loosened from threads in hub and bearing, push bolts up against rear of hub and bearing to keep brake support plate in place when hub and bearing is removed.
Pull hub and bearing off knuckle and half shaft (if equipped with AWD), then thread wheel speed sensor cable through hole in brake support plate as it is removed with hub and bearing.
- Position hub and bearing bolts though rear of knuckle and parking brake support just enough to hold support in place as hub and bearing is installed.
- Install hub and bearing by first feeding end of wheel speed sensor cable through hole in bottom of parking brake support. As this is being done, if equipped with AWD, slide hub and bearing onto half shaft. Place hub and bearing through brake support, onto knuckle, lining up mounting bolt holes with bolts and placing wheel speed sensor head at bottom.
- Install four bolts fastening hub and bearing in place. Tighten mounting bolts to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm).
- Place wheel speed sensor cable routing grommet into bracket on parking brake support.
- Route wheel speed sensor cable along toe link and rear suspension crossmember connecting routing clips where shown.
- Clip wheel speed sensor connector to spare tire mounting support.
- Connect vehicle wiring harness to wheel speed sensor connector.
- Install brake rotor and caliper.
If equipped with AWD:
- Install washer and hub nut on end of half shaft.
- While a helper applies brakes to keep hub from turning, tighten hub nut to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm).
- Install spring washer, nut lock and cotter pin on end of half shaft.
- Install tire and wheel assembly. Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Verify proper adjustment of the parking brake shoes and adjust as necessary.
- Lower vehicle.
- Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.
- Road test vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake shoes.