- Place front wheels of vehicle in STRAIGHT-AHEAD position.
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (-) cable. Wait two minutes for the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge before beginning any steering column, instrument panel, or airbag system/component service.
CAUTIONWhen an undeployed airbag is to be removed from the vehicle, first disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable. Allow the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge for two minutes before beginning any airbag system or component service. This is the only sure way to disable the air bag system. Failure to do this could result in accidental air bag deployment and possible personal injury.
- Remove driver airbag mounting screws.
Lift airbag from mount and disconnect two airbag squib connectors and horn connector. Remove driver airbag.
Disconnect speed control wiring connector at clockspring (center terminal).
- Remove steering wheel retaining bolt.
- Remove damper.
Remove steering wheel from steering column using standard wheel puller.
- Remove speed control switches from steering wheel.
- Remove remote audio switches from steering wheel.
- Install remote audio control switches on steering wheel.
- Install speed control switches on steering wheel.
- Match splines on steering wheel hub with that on steering shaft, then slide steering wheel onto column shaft.
- Install damper on steering wheel.
- Install steering wheel retaining bolt. Tighten bolt to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Connect speed control wiring connector at clockspring.
- Connect two airbag squib connectors and horn connector to driver airbag.
- Place driver airbag on steering wheel and install mounting screws. Tighten screws to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect battery negative (-) cable to battery post following special airbag Diagnosis And Testing procedure.
- Check operation of horn, speed control and remote audio controls.