3.5L & 4.0L Engines
- Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.
- Drain cooling system.
- Disconnect radiator upper hose from thermostat housing.
- Remove thermostat housing bolts.
- Remove housing, thermostat, and gasket.
- Clean gasket sealing surfaces.
- Install thermostat and gasket into thermostat housing. For ease of installation, install bolts in housing for thermostat and gasket retention.
- Install thermostat and housing to the intake manifold. Tighten the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Connect radiator hoses and install hose clamp.
- Refill cooling system.
- Connect negative cable to remote jumper terminal.
- Drain cooling system down below the thermostat level.
- Remove radiator upper hose from coolant outlet connector.
- Remove coolant outlet connector bolts and connector.
- Remove thermostat from outlet connector.
Discard gasket and clean both gasket sealing surfaces.
To ensure proper seating of replacement thermostat, carefully remove the bulged metal from the wall of the outlet connector recess that was created during the staking procedure that held the OEM thermostat in place. It is not necessary to restake the replacement thermostat into the connector.
Position thermostat to coolant outlet connector. Align the two locating notches on thermostat to the connector. This position will ensure proper location of the thermostat air bleed.
- Position a new gasket over the thermostat and connector making sure thermostat is in proper position and in the recess provided.
- Install thermostat and connector assembly to the intake manifold. Tighten bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the radiator upper hose to coolant outlet connector.
- Refill the cooling system to the proper level.