Buick LeSabre 1986-1999
Buick Park Avenue 1996-1999
Oldsmobile 88 1992-1999
Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986-1988
Oldsmobile LSS 1996-1999
Pontiac Bonneville 1987-1999
- Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Detach the wire connector at the Mass Air Flow sensor.
- If equipped, remove the cross brace to strut towers, as follows:
- Remove the air intake duct.
- Disconnect the cruise control cable from the throttle body.
- Remove the shift control linkage from the mounting bracket at the transaxle and the lever at the manual shaft.
Label and detach the connectors from the following:
- Park/neutral/backup lamp switch.
- Transaxle electrical connector.
- Vehicle speed sensor and fuel pipe retainers.
- Remove the fuel pipe retainers.
- Disconnect the vacuum modulator hose from the modulator.
- Remove the three top transaxle-to-engine block bolts and install a suitable engine support fixture. Load the support fixture by tightening the wingnuts several turns in order to relieve the tension on the frame and the mounts.
- Turn the steering wheel to the full left position.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove both front tire and wheel assemblies.
- Drain the automatic transaxle fluid into a suitable container.
- Remove the right and left front ball joint nuts, then separate both control arms from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the right halfshaft from the transaxle only. Do not remove the halfshaft from the hub/bearing assembly.
Carefully guide the output shaft past the lip seal. Do not allow the halfshaft splines to contact any portion of the lip seal.
- Remove the left halfshaft from the transaxle and hub/knuckle assembly. Be careful not to damage the pan.
- Support the transaxle with a suitable stand.
- Remove the bolts at the transaxle and the nuts at the cradle member. Remove the left front transaxle mount.
- Remove the right front mount-to-cradle nuts. Remove the left rear transaxle mount-to-transaxle bolts.
- Remove the torque strut bracket from the transaxle.
- Remove the right transaxle mount-to-transaxle bolts.
- Remove the left rear transaxle mount. Remove the transaxle brace from the engine bracket.
- Remove the stabilizer shaft link-to-control arm bolt.
Be sure to matchmark the flywheel-to-converter relationship for proper alignment upon reassembly.
- Unfasten the flywheel cover bolts, then remove the cover. Matchmark the flywheel-to-torque converter installed position, then remove the flywheel-to-converter bolts.
- Remove the bolts attaching the rear frame member to the front frame.
- Remove the front left cradle-to-body bolt and the front cradle dog leg-to-right cradle member bolts.
- Remove the frame/cradle assembly by swinging it aside and supporting it with a jackstand.
- Disconnect the oil cooler lines from the transaxle, then plug the lines to avoid contamination.
One bolt located between the transaxle and the engine block is installed in the opposite direction.
- Remove the remaining lower transaxle-to-engine bolts and lower the transaxle from the vehicle. Be careful when removing the transaxle to avoid damaging the right-hand output shaft, shaft seal, hoses, lines and wiring.
- Install the transaxle into the vehicle using the dowel pin as guide. Tighten the bolts to the specifications shown in the chart at the end of this section.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Keep the following important points in mind when installing the transaxle:
Be careful when installing the right side halfshaft into the transaxle case. The splined shaft can easily cause damage to the seal.
- Before installing the right side halfshaft, install a suitable axle seal protector.
- Tighten the retainers to the specifications given in the chart at the end of this section.
- Align the flywheel-to-torque converter marks made during removal. The torque converter-to-flywheel bolts should always be tightened twice.
- Check adjustment of the shift cables, as outlined later in this section.
- After installing the front wheels and tires, make sure to tighten the lug nuts to specification.
- When installing the cross brace to the struts, perform the following:
- Place the assembly on the inboard strut studs.
- Install the strut stud nuts and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
Tighten the torque bar assembly through-bolts to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Check and adjust the fluid level as necessary, making sure to use the proper type of fluid.
- When installing the transaxle-to-engine block brace, tighten the brace-to-engine bolts first and the brace-to-transaxle case last to avoid pulling the transaxle case out of line.
- After the installation is complete, road test the vehicle and check for proper operation and leaks.
Buick Park Avenue 1998-1999
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install an engine support fixture.
Both front tires
Install or connect the following:
NOTEUse care when installing the right side drive axle into the transaxle case. The splined shaft of the axle can easily damage the seal.
Transaxle to vehicle
Left and right drive axles to transaxle
- Check and adjust transaxle fluid level.
- Road test vehicle and check for transaxle leaks.