Removal & Installation
Buick LeSabre 1986-1999
Buick Park Avenue 1996-1999
Oldsmobile 88 1992-1999
Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986-1988
Oldsmobile LSS 1996-1999
Pontiac Bonneville 1987-1999
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
- Remove the transaxle converter cover.
- For 1986-90 vehicles, remove the starter motor from the vehicle, as outlined in Section 2.
- Remove the oil filter.
- If equipped, disconnect the oil level sensor.
- For 1996-99 vehicles, remove the oil level sensor. On these vehicles, the oil level sensor must be removed prior to removing the pan. If the pan is removed first, damage to the sensor may occur.
- Remove the oil pan-to-engine bolts and the oil pan. Remove and discard the oil pan gasket. The formed rubber oil pan gasket cannot be reused.
- If necessary, remove the oil pump pipe and screen.
- Thoroughly clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- If removed, install the oil pump pipe and screen. Secure with the retaining bolt(s) and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Place a new formed rubber gasket in the oil pan flange.
- Position the oil pan and secure with the oil pan-to-engine bolts. Tighten the bolts to 124 inch lbs. (14 Nm). Do NOT overtighten the bolts, as this will damage the oil pan, causing a leak.
- For 1986-90 vehicles, install the starter motor and transaxle converter cover.
- Install a new oil filter.
- For 1996-99 vehicles, install the oil level sensor.
- If equipped, connect the low oil level sensor wire.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Fill the crankcase with the proper type and amount of engine oil.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks. Check the oil level and add if necessary.
Buick Park Avenue 1998-1999
Oldsmobile Regency 1998
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
- Drain oil into an approved container.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Clean the oil pan and cylinder block mating surfaces.
Install or connect the following:
Oil pan with a new gasket and torque the bolts to 125 inch lbs. (14 Nm)
- Refill the crankcase.
- Run the engine and check for leaks.