Buick Park Avenue 1998-1999
Oldsmobile Regency 1998
The coil springs are under a considerable amount of tension. Be very careful when removing or installing them; they can exert enough force to cause very serious injury.
Removal & Installation
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
Disassemble the strut as follows:
- Step 1: Place the strut assembly into compressor tool, to compress the coil spring.
- Step 2: Compress the spring slightly.
- Step 3: Hold the strut shaft from turning using a No. 50 Torx® socket and remove the 24mm nut on the top end of the strut.
- Step 4: Install Rod tool J 34013-38 to help guide the strut shaft from the upper mount assembly.
Step 5: Loosen the spring compressor tool until the coil spring and mount can be removed as an assembly. Remove the lower spring insulator, if equipped.
Assemble the strut as follows:
- Step 1: Place the strut in compressor tool.
- Step 2: Install the coil spring over the strut.
- Step 3: Compress the coil spring while guiding strut shaft through the top of the strut assembly.
- Step 4: Install the top strut nut. Torque the nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Step 5: Remove the strut from the compressor.