Buick LeSabre 1986-1999
Buick Park Avenue 1996-1999
Oldsmobile 88 1992-1999
Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986-1988
Oldsmobile LSS 1996-1999
Pontiac Bonneville 1987-1999
Due to the wide range of models and options, the instrument panel and pad removal procedure cannot cover every possible location for screw or clip locations. The car's instrument panel enables removal of control switches, instruments, gauges, and lights from the driver's side of the instrument panel. Trim panels that must be removed are held in place by bolts, screws and clips. These locations vary from model to model. After the removal of all the fasteners that you are aware of, if the cluster is still firmly attached, you probably missed a hidden fastener. If this happens, gently and carefully pry the area, looking for the location that doesn't flex. The location that does flex is where you'll find the fastener(s) you missed. Take great care with the plastic trim panels. Plastic trim panels are usually very hard plastic and extremely easy to crack. The following steps can be used to guide you through the removal and installation of the instrument cluster, but you will need to alter steps to your specific needs.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Properly disable the SIR system, as outlined in Section 6 of this manual.
- Remove the reveal cover and upper trim panels, as follows:
- Remove the information center fasteners, then remove the center.
- Remove the lower instrument panel trim plate by carefully prying it out.
- Carefully pry out the air deflectors.
- Unfasten the fasteners, then remove the instrument panel trim plate.
- Remove the passenger inflator module.
- Remove the knee bolster/deflector.
- Place a protective cloth on the steering column to avoid scratching. Lower the steering column.
- Unfasten the instrument panel fasteners. Pull the instrument panel slightly rearward.
- Detach the electrical connector, including the antenna cable. Disconnect the vacuum line.
- Carefully remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
- Carefully maneuver the instrument panel into the vehicle.
- Attach the vacuum line connector and the electrical connectors.
- Install the instrument panel fasteners, and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Raise the steering column.
- Install the knee bolster/deflector.
- Install the passenger inflator module.
- Instal the instrument panel trim plates, using the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Install the information center and secure with the retaining fasteners.
- Properly enable the SIR system and connect the negative battery cable.