Buick LeSabre 1986-1999
Buick Park Avenue 1996-1999
Oldsmobile 88 1992-1999
Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986-1988
Oldsmobile LSS 1996-1999
Pontiac Bonneville 1987-1999
- Adjust the rear brakes, as outlined in this section.
- Apply and release the parking brake 6 times to 10 clicks, for 1986-90 vehicles. For 1991-99 vehicles, apply and release the parking brake 5 times, to 6 clicks. Release the park brake pedal.
- Check the parking brake pedal for full release by turning the ignition to the ON position and checking the BRAKE warning lamp. The lamp should be off. If the lamp is on, make sure the pedal is in the fully release position ad pull downward on the front parking brake cable to remove the slack.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the access hole plug from the rear brake backing plates.
- Adjust the parking brake cable until a 1 / 8 in. drill bit can be inserted through the access hole into the space between the shoe web and the parking brake lever. Satisfactory cable adjustment is achieved when a 1 / 8 in. bit will fit into the space, but a 1 / 4 in. bit will not.
- Apply the parking brake one click, and check the rear wheel rotation. When you try to rotate the wheels by hand in a forward direction, they should not move; in a rearward direction, they should either drag, or not move.
- Release the parking brake and check for free wheel rotation.
- Reinstall the access hole plugs, then carefully lower the vehicle.