Buick LeSabre 1986-1999
Buick Park Avenue 1996-1999
Oldsmobile 88 1992-1999
Oldsmobile Delta 88 1986-1988
Oldsmobile LSS 1996-1999
Pontiac Bonneville 1987-1999
On Two Flow Electronic (TFE) systems, if the pump is being replaced, make sure to replace the pump with one that is specified for the TFE system. The TFE pump (without its actuator and fitting) looks identical to the non-TFE pumps, but the two are not interchangeable.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If necessary for access, remove the strut housing upper tie bar.
- Remove the power steering pump drive belt(s) or serpentine drive belt, as applicable.
- On the TFE pump, detach the electrical connector.
- If necessary, remove the lower bolt from the mounting bracket.
- Disconnect the power gear inlet and outlet hoses from the pump. On supercharged engines, also disconnect the remove reservoir hose from the pump reservoir, if necessary.
- Position the power steering pump pulley so the bolts can be accessed through the holes. Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts through the holes.
- Remove the power steering pump assembly. If replacing the pump, transfer the pulley as necessary.
- Hand-start the power steering gear inlet hose connection to the pump. Orient the hose as shown in the accompanying figures.
- Install the pump and pulley assembly. On non-supercharged engines, install and tighten the lower bolt first, then check that a clearance of 0.080-0.200 in. (2-5mm) exists between the hose and heater pipes as the contact may cause noise after installation.
- Attach the power steering gear outlet hose to the pump. The hose must be routed outboard and under the engine harness and heater hoses.
- On supercharged engines, if necessary, reconnect the hose from the remove reservoir to the pump reservoir.
- Tighten the power steering gear inlet hose-to-pump fitting to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) and the hose clamp at the pump to 15 inch lbs. (1.7 Nm). Tighten the pump mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- If equipped with a TFE pump, attach the connector.
- Install the power steering belt(s) or serpentine belt, as applicable.
- If removed, install the strut housing upper tie bar and tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable. Bleed the power steering system and check for leaks.