REMOVAL & INSTALLATION CRV and V6 Odyssey Models
Please refer to the rear drum brake shoe replacement procedures in this section.
4-Cylinder Odyssey Models
These models use a parking drum brake located in the center of the rear brake rotor. The shoes are attached to a backing plate inside the rear brake rotor. To service follow the steps below.
- Loosen the rear parking brake by lowering it to the rest position.
- Raise the vehicle and support it with the proper jackstands.
- Remove the rear tires.
- Remove the two 6mm bolts.
- Remove the rear brake disc rotor.
If necessary, install two 8mm bolts into the threaded holes in the rotor and tighten them 2 turns at a time. This will push the rotor from the hub and stud assembly.
- Inspect the brake shoe linings for contamination, cracking, glazing, or excessive wear.
- Measure the linings of the shoes if there is any question as to the amount of life left. The lining thickness is 0.10 in (2.5mm) on a new shoe. The service limit is a minimum thickness of 0.04 in (1.0mm).
The inner part of the rear rotor is machined in the same manner as a conventional brake drum. It too is prone to wear and distortion. Although it is not as common to see an out-of-round inner drum on a disc/drum rotor assembly it still can and does occur. Driving with the parking brake on can quickly generate enough heat to damage the inner drum assembly.
- Measure the inner drum as shown in the illustration. The standard inside drum diameter should be 6.69 in (170.0mm). The maximum inside diameter is 6.73 in (171.0mm).
If the refinishing standard does not match the one on your disc/drum use the specification that is stamped on the disc/drum as a reference. Replace the disc/drum if the specification is above the maximum specification. Also inspect the drum for sliding surface scoring, grooving or cracking.
- Push and turn the retainer springs to remove the retaining pins.
- Remove the adjuster, springs and shoes.
- Separate the parking brake cable and the brake lever.
Remove the following components:
See Figures 1 through 5
- Apply a suitable brake cylinder grease to the sliding surface of the pivot pin.
- Insert the pivot pin into the brake shoe.
- Attach the parking brake lever and wave washer on the pivot pin.
- Secure these components with the U-clip.
Squeeze the U-clip securely to prevent it from coming out of the brake shoe.
- Apply a suitable high temperature grease to all of the shoe sliding surfaces on the backing plate.
- The balance of the assembly is the reverse of removal, making sure to properly adjust the parking brake.
4-Cylinder Odyssey Models
- Release the parking brake.
- Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle.
- Remove the rear tire/wheel assemblies.
- Remove the inspection hole cover from the rear brake rotor.
- Rotate the brake rotor such that the inspection hole is at the bottom.
- Adjust the parking brake star nut using a flat-blade screwdriver until the shoes lock, then back the adjuster off 8 notches and reinstall the tire/wheel assemblies.