Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Position the wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Remove the lower lid from the steering wheel. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Remove the left and right lids. Remove the ASCD steering switch, if equipped.
- Remove the left and right retaining bolts.
Carefully remove the air bag module.
NOTEAlways work from the side of the air bag module. Always place the module with the pad side facing upward. Do not attempt to disassemble the module. Do not reuse the old retaining bolts. Get new ones!
Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering column cover.
Disconnect the air bag harness and main harness connectors.
Remove the spiral cable retaining screws. Remove the spiral cable assembly from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Align the turn signal cancel tab with the notch of the combination switch.
- Rotate the spiral cable fully clockwise until tight.
Rotate the spiral cable counterclockwise as specified in the illustration. Align the white pin with the alignment mark.
Be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel.
NOTEAfter installation be sure to turn the steering wheel to make sure that it moves smoothly. Ensure the number of turns from the straight forward position to the left and right locks are the same. Be sure that the steering wheel is in a neutral position when driving straight ahead.
NOTEThe spiral cable may snap during steering operation if the cable is not installed correctly. Also if the steering linkage is disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the specified number of turns. Always perform the SRS self diagnostic test after installing the air bag module.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.