Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Drain the transmission fluid. Be sure to properly dispose of used fluid.
- Remove the fluid charging pipe from the transmission.
- Remove the oil cooler pipe from the transmission
- Plug any openings, for example fluid charging pipe hole, etc.
Matchmark the U-joint and differential flange and disconnect them. Remove the center bearing mounting bolts and remove the driveshaft. Plug the transmission extension housing.
WARNINGDo not damage splines, sleeve yoke or rear oil seal.
- Remove the transmission control linkage from the selector lever.
- Disconnect the electrical harness.
- Remove the starter.
- Remove the bolts retaining the torque converter to the flexplate.
- Properly support the transmission with a transmission jack.
Remove the rear mounting bracket from the body and transmission.
- Remove the bolts retaining the transmission to the engine.
- Pull the assembly backwards. Secure the converter to the transmission.
- Slant and lower the assembly and remove it from the vehicle.
Check drive plate runout. See illustration.
Check torque converter for proper installation, it should be 1.024 inch. See illustration.
Install the transmission to the engine. Tighten the retaining bolts as specified. Bolts #1 29-36 ft. lbs. Bolts #2 24-36 inch lbs. Bolt #3 12-16 ft. lbs. See illustration.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to fill the transmission with the proper grade and type fluid.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.