Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine under cover.
- Matchmark and remove the hood.
- Drain the engine oil. Be sure to properly dispose of used oil.
- Drain the engine coolant from the radiator and the cylinder block. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
- Disconnect the air cleaner hose, then remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect and plug all fuel lines.
Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. Remove the radiator. Disconnect the heater hoses.
- Remove the drive belts.
Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield. Disconnect the exhaust system from the exhaust manifold. Be sure to properly support the exhaust system.
- If equipped with air conditioning, properly discharge the system.
- Disconnect and plug the refrigerant lines.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable, vacuum hoses, electrical connectors and vacuum booster hose.
- Remove the power steering pump bolts.
- If equipped with automatic transmission remove the dipstick tube and throttle wire.
- Remove the transmission (automatic or manual).
- Install an engine lifting fixture.
- Properly support the engine and remove the engine mounts.
Carefully remove the engine from the vehicle.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to properly recharge the air conditioning system.
- Be sure to fill the cooling system with the proper grade and type coolant.
- Be sure to fill the engine with the proper grade and type oil.
- Be sure to fill the automatic transmission with the proper grade and type fluid, if equipped.
- Start the engine and check for leaks, correct as required.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.