Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
Remove the radiator. Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses.
- Remove the drive belt(s).
- Remove all spark plugs and then set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC of its compression stroke.
- Remove the distributor.
- Unthread the oil pump attaching screws, then remove the pump and its drive spindle.
- Remove the cooling fan and the fan pulley.
- Remove the A/C compressor idler pulley.
- Remove the water pump.
- Unfasten and remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the bolts holding the front cover to the front of the cylinder block, the bolts which retain the front of the oil pan to the bottom of the front cover, and the bolts which are screwed down through the front of the cylinder head into the top of the front cover.
- With a suitable drain pan in place, carefully pry the front cover off the engine assembly.
Cut the exposed front section of the oil pan gasket away from the oil pan. Do the same to the gasket at the top of the front cover. Remove the two side gaskets and clean all of the mating surfaces.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
- Cut the portions needed from a new oil pan gasket and top front cover gasket.
Apply sealer to all of the gaskets and position them on the engine in their proper places.
- Apply a light coating of oil to the crankshaft oil seal. Carefully mount the front cover to the front of the engine and install all of the mounting bolts. Tighten the 8mm bolts to 7-12 ft. lbs. (9-16 Nm) and the 6mm bolts to 36-84 inch lbs. (4-9 Nm). Tighten the oil pan attaching bolts to 48-84 inch lbs. (5.5-9 Nm).
Before installing the oil pump, place the gasket over the shaft and make sure that the mark on the drive spindle faces (is aligned with) the oil pump hole. Install the oil pump so that the projection on the top of the shaft is located in the exact position as when it was removed. However, if the engine was disturbed since disassembly, place the projection on top of the shaft at the 11 o'clock position when the piston in the No. 1 cylinder is placed at TDC on the compression stroke. Tighten the oil pump attaching screws to 8-10 ft. lbs. (11-15 Nm).
- Install the crankshaft pulley and bolt. Tighten the bolt to specification.
- Install the water pump with a new gasket. Install the fan pulley and cooling fan. Install the drive belt and adjust to the correct tension.
- Install the distributor in the correct position. Reconnect the alternator bracket and alternator. Install the drive belt and adjust the tension.
- Install the A/C compressor idler pulley.
- Install all spark plugs.
- Install the radiator, then reconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Refill and bleed the cooling system.
- Check the ignition timing and check for leaks.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.