Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the PCV hose from the cylinder head cover. Mark and reposition the spark plug wires, if necessary.
Remove the nuts and washers, then lift the cover off the valve cover. Cover the oil return hole in the head to prevent dirt or objects from falling in. Remove the gasket.
- Replace or reinstall the cover gasket, as necessary. Be sure to clean the mating surfaces. If the old gasket shows any signs of damage, breaks or cracks, it should be replaced.
When installing the cylinder head cover (valve cover), always torque the 2 center retaining bolts to half their specified torque first; then, working towards the ends, torque the retaining bolts in equal steps to their final torque.
Tighten the nuts evenly to 60-96 inch lbs. (7-11 Nm).
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.