Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
Remove the auto-lock free running hub assembly, if equipped.
- Remove the manual-lock free running hub assembly, if equipped.
- Separate the halfshaft from the knuckle spindle, 4WD.
- Using the proper removal tool, separate the tie rod from the knuckle spindle.
Separate the knuckle spindle from the ball joints.
NOTELoosen, do not remove, the upper and lower ball joint tightening nuts.
Using the proper removal tool, separate the knuckle spindle and the lower ball joint studs.
NOTEDuring the above operation, never remove the ball joint nuts which are loosened in the above step.
Remove the ball joint tightening nuts.
NOTESupport the lower control arm with a service jack.
Remove the knuckle spindle from the upper and lower control arms.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Install the bearing spacer onto the knuckle spindle, 2WD.
- Install the needle bearing into the knuckle spindle, 4WD.
- Adjust wheel bearing preload, as required.
On 4WD, after installing halfshaft check halfshaft axial end play.
NOTEDo not reuse snapring once it has been removed.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.
- Check and adjust front alignment, as required.