Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Drain the fluid. Be sure to properly dispose of used fluid.
- Remove the CKP sensor.
- Remove the clutch operating cylinder from the transmission.
- Remove the backup switch and neutral safety switch harness connectors.
- Remove the starter.
- Remove the driveshaft 2WD and driveshafts 4WD. Plug the rear oil seal at the transmission to prevent fluid leakage, 2WD. Plug the rear oil seals at the transfer case to prevent fluid leakage, 4WD.
- Remove the torsion bar springs, 4WD.
- Remove the control lever, 2WD. Remove the control lever and transfer case lever, 4WD.
- Support the engine by positioning a jack under the oil pan. Do not place the jack under the drain plug.
- Properly support the transmission assembly.
- Remove the transmission retaining bolts.
- Carefully remove the transmission from the vehicle.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
If equipped with 4WD, apply sealant, as shown in illustration.
- Install the transmission. Tighten the retaining bolts as specified. Bolts #1 and #2 29-36 ft. lbs. Bolt #3 (with nut) 12-16 ft. lbs. Bolt #4 12-16 ft. lbs. See illustration.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to fill the unit with the proper grade and type fluid.
- Start the engine and check for leaks, correct as required.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.