Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- raise and safely support the vehicle.
Check the brake adjustment and correct as necessary.
- Loosen the brake cable adjuster assembly locknut.
Rotate the adjuster assembly until the parking brake control lever operating stroke is as follows:
center lever and 2WD with stick lever, 10en dash)12 notches
Notches are measured from the rest position (in or down) to the full-on position (out or up).
- Release the parking brake and make sure that the rear wheels turn freely with no drag.
- The brake light should come on after 1 notch (stick lever) or 2 notches (center lever). If not, adjust the switch by bending the plate.
Tighten the locknut at the parking brake cable adjuster assembly, then lower and road test the vehicle.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.