Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable and brake tube.
- Remove the nuts securing the wheel bearing cage with the baffle plate.
- Remove the axle shaft, using the proper removal tool.
Discard the oil seal.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
After installing the new seal, coat the sealing lip surface with multi-purpose grease. Apply recess of axle case end with grease. Apply gear oil to the spline of the axle shaft. Coat the seal surface of the shaft with grease. See illustration.
- Adjust axial endplay. Select the proper shims. Standard thickness is 0.059 inch. See illustration.
- Install the axle shaft. Use a new seal. Do not damage the seal during installation.
- Measure endplay of the axle shaft. If servicing one axle it should be 0.0008-0.0059 inch. If servicing both axles should be 0.0118-0.0354 inch for axle one and 0.0008-0.0059 inch for axle two.
- If not within specification, reselect axle shims.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.