Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the gear oil from the differential.
- Remove the driveshaft assembly.
Remove the companion flange retaining nut, while recording the torque necessary to remove the retaining nut. Remove the companion flange and then pry out the oil seal.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
- Coat the cavity between the lips of the oil seal with grease and then install the oil seal.
- Press the companion flange in and install the companion flange nut. Tighten the flange retaining nut to the recorded torque specification.
- Install the driveshaft, remove the stands and lower the vehicle. Refill the differential with gear oil.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.