Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
- Loosen the brake adjuster, if necessary.
- Remove the brake drum.
- With a brake tool, remove the shoe hold-down anti-rattle spring retainers. Depress the retainer while rotating it 90 degrees to align the retainer slot with the pin flanged end.
- Remove the retainers, springs, spring seats, and pins.
- Open the brake shoes outward against the return springs, then remove the parking brake extension link.
- Disconnect the brake shoe return springs.
- Remove the shoes from the backing plate. The secondary shoe must be disconnected from the parking brake toggle lever after withdrawing the clevis pin.
Remove the rubber boot from behind the backing plate then slide the adjuster shim, lock plate, and adjuster springs off the back of the assembly. Remove the adjuster assembly from the backing plate.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
On 4WD, make sure that after installation there is no play between the crank lever and backing plate when pulling on the lever. If play exists, adjust bolt
- Check and adjust rear service brakes.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.