Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
- Loosen the brake adjuster, if necessary.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Remove the brake linings.
Disconnect the brake hose from the wheel cylinder.
NOTEBe sure to position a catch pan under the wheel cylinder to catch used fluid. Properly dispose of used brake fluid.
Unscrew the wheel cylinder securing nut and remove the wheel cylinder from the brake backing plate.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to fill the master cylinder with the proper grade and type fluid.
- Bleed the brake system.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.
- Install the wheel cylinder to the brake backing plate.
- Connect the brake hose to the wheel cylinder.
- Install the brake shoes and brake drum, as previously described. Properly adjust the brake shoe-to-drum clearance.
- Install the tire/wheel assembly and hub cap.
- Bleed the brake hydraulic system.
- Lower the vehicle and road test.