Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower finisher panel.
- Disconnect the combination switch electrical connectors and air bag harness connector.
- Remove the key interlock cable, if equipped with automatic transmission.
- Pull back the carpet and remove the dash insulator.
- Remove the bolt from the lower joint.
- Remove the column retaining bolts.
Remove the column from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
When installing the column finger tighten all lower bracket and clamp retaining bolts, then tighten them securely.
Be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel.
NOTEAfter installation be sure to turn the steering wheel to make sure that it moves smoothly. Ensure the number of turns from the straight forward position to the left and right locks are the same. Be sure that the steering wheel is in a neutral position when driving straight ahead.
NOTEThe spiral cable may snap during steering operation if the cable is not installed correctly. Also if the steering linkage is disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the specified number of turns. Always perform the SRS self diagnostic test after installing the air bag module.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.