Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to disable the SRS system. After disabling the system wait three minutes or more before servicing the vehicle. Disconnect the air bag module connector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Position the wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Remove the SRS module/horn pad by unscrewing the two screws from the rear side of the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Matchmark the top of the steering column shaft and the steering wheel flange.
Remove the attaching nut and remove the steering wheel with a puller tool.
NOTEDo not strike the shaft with a hammer, which may cause the column to collapse.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the steering wheel retaining bolt to 11-18 ft. lbs.
- Using the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool, or equivalent, perform the SRS self diagnostic test and any reconnect/relearn procedures, as required.