- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONWait at least three minutes after disconnecting the battery cable before starting the repair procedure.
- Be sure that the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
Remove the access panel from the steering wheel. Disconnect the driver-s airbag 4P connector from the cable reel.
- Remove the two Torx® bit bolts. Remove the driver-s side air bag pad. Upon installation, be sure to use new bolts and tighten them to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).
- Disconnect the connectors from the cruise control set/resume switch, the horn switch and the radio remote switch.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
NOTEDo not tap on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower dashboard cover.
- Remove the steering column cover retaining screws. Remove the steering column covers.
- Disconnect the dashboard wire harness connector from the cable reel connector.
Disconnect the dashboard wire harness connector and release the tab. Pull off the cable reel.
- Be sure that the wheels are in the straight ahead position.
Set the turn signal canceling sleeve so the projections are aligned vertically. See illustration.
- Carefully install the cable reel.
- Install the steering column covers.
If necessary, center the cable. First rotate the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate it counterclockwise about 2.5 turns, until the arrow mark on the cable reel label points straight up.
NOTENew cable reels come centered.
- Align the projections on the cable reel with the holes on the steering wheel. Install the steering wheel. Tighten the retaining nut to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- When installing the driver-s side airbag, be sure to use new bolts and tighten them to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).
- Connect the battery cable.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II), the SRS indicator should come on for about six seconds, and then go off.
- After the SRS indicator has turned off, turn the steering wheel fully to the left and fully to the right to ensure that the SRS indicator light does not come on. Correct as required.