Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Make sure that the front tire and wheel assemblies are in the straight ahead position.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
Remove the lock pin from the lower arm ball joint. Remove the castle nut.
NOTEDuring installation install the lock pin after tightening the new castle nut.
Disconnect the lower arm ball joint from the knuckle, using the proper removal tool.
WARNINGDo not force or hammer on the lower arm, or pry between the lower arm and the knuckle, as damage to the ball joint could result.
- Remove the forward lower arm mounting bolt. Discard the bolt. Remove the rearward lower arm mounting bolt. Discard the bolt.
Remove the lower arm from the front suspension subframe.
NOTEBe sure to use new mounting bolts during installation.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Be sure to use new mounting bolts, as required.
NOTEFirst install all suspension components and lightly tighten the bolts and nuts, then raise the suspension to load it with the vehicles weight before fully tightening the nuts and bolts to specification.
NOTETorque the castle nut to specification, then tighten it only far enough to align the slot with the ball joint pin hole. Do not align the castle nut by loosening it.
- Tighten the forward lower arm mounting bolt to 69 ft. lbs. (94 Nm). Tighten the rearward mounting bolt to 69 ft. lbs. (94 Nm) Tighten the castle nut to 43-51 ft. lbs. (58-69 Nm).
- Check and adjust the wheel alignment, as required.