Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait 3 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing any service.
Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the driver-s side dashboard lower cover.
- Remove the glove box.
- Remove the dashboard side vent, passenger-s side.
- Remove the A-pillar, both sides. Remove the A-pillar corner trim, driver-s side.
- Remove the dashboard lid.
Starting at the top, gently pull the center front covers out to detach the clips. Pull the cover out to detach the remaining clips. Remove the covers from both sides.
- If not equipped with heated seats, remove the coin pocket. Remove the center lower cover screws. Pull the cover out and detach the clips. Disconnect the electrical connectors. Remove the cover.
- If equipped with heated seats, remove the screws. Pull the cover out to detach the clips. Disconnect the electrical connectors. Remove the cover.
Detach the clips and release the hooks. Remove the driver-s side console trim side panel. Remove the passenger-s side console trim panel.
- Starting at the top, pull out the console rear trim to detach the clips. Pull out the trim to detach the remaining clips.
- Disconnect the rear heater/AC passenger-s control panel connectors and accessory socket.
- If equipped disconnect the rear entertainment system jack connector.
- Remove the console retaining bolts and clips. Disconnect the harness clip. Disconnect all connectors. Lift the console up and remove it from the vehicle.
- Remove the driver-s airbag assembly.
- Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the steering joint cover.
- Position the steering column shaft in the neutral position by pulling up the steering column to its uppermost position, then lower it 0.31 in. Tighten the tilt lever.
- Remove the column covers.
- Move the shift lever to the neutral position. Remove the shift cable from the column.
- Remove the combination switch assembly and cable reel from the steering column shaft, by removing the three retaining screws and disconnecting the electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the ignition switch connectors and disconnect the harness clips.
- Disconnect the immobilizer receiver unit, the park pin switch and the shift lock solenoid.
- Disconnect the steering joint and remove it from the column shaft.
Remove the steering column retaining bolts and nuts. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.
NOTERemove the center guide ring, if equipped from the top of the pinion shaft and discard it. The center guide is for factory assembly only.
NOTEIf the vehicle is equipped with a navigation system, it may be necessary to remove the front passenger side seat and carpet.
On the driver-s side, from under the dash, disconnect the side wire connectors, engine compartment wire connectors, door wire connectors, dashboard wire connectors, B-DIR CONNECT wire connector, brake pedal position switch connector, parking brake switch wire connector and the wire harness clip.
- On the driver-s side middle, disconnect the mode door connector, and the in-car sensor hose. Detach the wire harness clip.
- On the passenger-s side middle, disconnect the yaw/rate lateral sensor connector, the rear AC connectors, the SRS floor wire connector. Detach the wire harness clip.
- On the passenger-s side, disconnect the evaporator temperature sensor connector, the air mix control motor connector, the SRS main sub wire connector.
- If the vehicle is equipped with navigation system, disconnect the sub wire harness and the GPS antenna harness from the floor.
- Remove the retaining bolt and pull out the passenger-s under dash fuse/relay box. Disconnect the side wire connectors, the engine compartment wire connectors, the door wire connectors, the interior wire harness connector, the recirculation control motor connector, the power transistor connector and the blower motor connector.
Detach all of the harnesses and connector clips.
- Remove bolts A-B-C-D-E and F (see illustration). Lift up on the dashboard to release it from the guide pins on the body. Carefully remove the assembly from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Make sure that the instrument panel fits onto the guide pins correctly.
- Apply liquid thread lock to the center frame mounting bolts before reinstallation.
- Tighten all bolts to specification and in proper sequence.
- When installing the steering column, be sure not to let the sliding plates fall out of position during column installation.
- Center the steering rack within its stroke.
- Insert the upper end of the steering column joint onto the steering shaft. Line up the bolt hole with the flat portion on the shaft and loosely install the upper joint bolt.
Slip the lower end of the steering joint onto the pinion shaft, taking care to align the gap within the angle.
- Align the bolt hole on the steering joint with the groove around the pinion shaft then loosely install the lower joint bolt.
- Pull on the steering joint to make sure that the steering joint is fully seated. Tighten the lower joint bolt to specification.
- Tighten the upper joint bolt to specification.
Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
NOTEThe power window reset procedure must be performed when disconnecting the battery, removing the No. 1 (20 amp) fuse in the passenger-s under dash fuse/relay box, disconnecting the 18P connector from the power window control unit, removing the window regulator, glass or glass run channel and disconnecting the driver-s door wire harness.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
- Move the driver-s power window all the way down by holding the driver-s power window switch firmly down to the second detent. When the window reaches the bottom, hold the driver-s power window switch in the AUTO DOWN position for two seconds.
Move the driver-s power window all the way up without stopping by holding the driver-s power window switch firmly up to the second detent. When the window reaches the top, hold the driver-s power window switch in the AUTO UP position for two seconds.
NOTEIf the power window does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure.
- Make sure that the steering wheel is centered.
- Make sure that the steering wheel switches work properly.