Be sure to review the SRS component locations before removing the steering column.
Be sure that you have the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system, if equipped. Record the audio presets.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait 3 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing any service.
- Drain the power steering fluid.
- Make sure that the front tire and wheel assemblies are in the straight ahead position.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
Remove the access panel from the steering wheel. Disconnect the airbag connector from the cable reel. Remove the two Torx® bolts. Remove the airbag.
- Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the steering joint cover.
- Remove the steering joint bolts, disconnect the steering joint by moving the joint toward the column.
Remove the center guide, if equipped. Discard the guide.
- Disconnect the power steering pump outlet hose from the pump. Remove the clamp.
- Remove the flange bolts on the engine side mount bracket.
Install the engine hanger balance bar and engine hanger adapters.
- Remove the cotter pin and loosen the nut. Separate the tie rod ball joints and knuckles using a ball joint removal tool.
Remove the front suspension subframe stiffener plate.
- Remove the self locking nuts and disconnect the under floor catalytic converter from the muffler.
- Remove the exhaust flange from the exhaust rubber mount.
- Disconnect the power steering pressure switch connector.
- On 4WD models, remove the driveshaft protector.
Remove the splash shield.
Attach the front subframe adapter tool to the front suspension subframe and the transmission jack or powertrain lift tool.
- Make sure that the front suspension subframe is securely supported by the jack with the subframe tool.
Loosen the two 14mm flange bolts on the front suspension subframe so they are about 30mm from the mounting surface. Do not loosen the flange bolts more than necessary.
- Remove the four 12mm flange bolts from the front suspension subframe front brackets.
Remove the 10mm flange bolts, nuts and subframe bolt retainer. Remove the two 12mm bolts, 14mm special bolts and front suspension subframe rear brackets on both sides of the vehicle.
- Lower the transmission jack, slowly, until the rear portion of the front suspension subframe has dropped about 50mm from the mounting surface.
- Remove the power steering line mounting brackets from the front suspension subframe and gearbox mounting bracket.
- Loosen the flare nut and disconnect the inlet line. Loosen the adjustable hose clamp and disconnect the return hose.
Remove the two 10mm flange bolts from the right side of the gearbox. Remove the mounting bracket and cushion.
Remove the two 10mm flange bolts from the left side of the gearbox.
- Lower the transmission jack slowly, until the front suspension subframe rear edge has dropped about 100mm.
Remove the gearbox stiffener bracket from the left side of the suspension subframe.
Slide the gearbox between the body and the front suspension subframe toward the left and remove the steering gearbox.
Be sure that there is no excess fluid on the mating surface of the gearbox and subframe. Remove any fluid from mount cushions and bolt holes.
Be sure to use new bolts, O-rings, locknuts and cotter pins as required.
Install the pinion shaft grommet on the valve housing.
NOTEIf the return line was removed, install it.
- Install the gearbox into position from the driver-s side of the vehicle.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Insert the upper end of the steering joint onto the steering shaft (line up the bolt hole) with the flat portion (on the shaft). Loosely install the upper joint bolt.
Slip the lower end of the steering joint onto the pinion shaft. Take care to align the gap with the angle.
- Align the bolt hole on the steering joint with the groove around the pinion shaft. Loosely install the lower joint bolt.
Pull the steering joint to make sure that the steering joint is fully seated. Tighten the lower joint bolt to specification. Tighten the upper ball joint bolt to specification.
NOTEThe power window reset procedure must be performed when disconnecting the battery, removing the No. 1 (20 amp) fuse in the passenger-s under dash fuse/relay box, disconnecting the 18P connector from the power window control unit, removing the window regulator, glass or glass run channel and disconnecting the driver-s door wire harness.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
- Move the driver-s power window all the way down by holding the driver-s power window switch firmly down to the second detent. When the window reaches the bottom, hold the driver-s power window switch in the AUTO DOWN position for two seconds.
Move the driver-s power window all the way up without stopping by holding the driver-s power window switch firmly up to the second detent. When the window reaches the top, hold the driver-s power window switch in the AUTO UP position for two seconds.
NOTEIf the power window does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure.