Be sure to review the SRS component locations before removing the steering column.
Be sure that you have the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system, if equipped. Record the audio presets.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait 3 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing any service.
- Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the driver-s airbag assembly.
- Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the steering joint cover.
- Position the steering column shaft in the neutral position by pulling up the steering column to its uppermost position, then lower it 0.31 in. Tighten the tilt lever.
- Remove the column covers.
- Move the shift lever to the neutral position. Remove the shift cable from the column.
- Remove the combination switch assembly and cable reel from the steering column shaft by removing the three retaining screws and disconnecting the electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the ignition switch connectors and disconnect the harness clips.
- Disconnect the immobilizer receiver unit, the park pin switch and the shift lock solenoid.
- Disconnect the steering joint and remove it from the column shaft.
Remove the steering column retaining bolts and nuts. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.
NOTERemove the center guide ring, if equipped, from the top of the pinion shaft and discard it. The center guide is for factory assembly only.
- Be sure not to let the sliding plates fall out of position during column installation.
- Center the steering rack within its stroke.
- Insert the upper end of the steering column joint onto the steering shaft. Line up the bolt hole with the flat portion on the shaft and loosely install the upper joint bolt.
Slip the lower end of the steering joint onto the pinion shaft, taking care to align the gap within the angle.
- Align the bolt hole on the steering joint with the groove around the pinion shaft then loosely install the lower joint bolt.
- Pull on the steering joint to make sure that the steering joint is fully seated. Tighten the lower joint bolt to specification.
- Tighten the upper joint bolt to specification.
Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
NOTEThe power window reset procedure must be performed when disconnecting the battery, removing the No. 1 (20 amp) fuse in the passenger-s under dash fuse/relay box, disconnecting the 18P connector from the power window control unit, removing the window regulator, glass or glass run channel and disconnecting the driver-s door wire harness.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
- Move the driver-s power window all the way down by holding the driver-s power window switch firmly down to the second detent. When the window reaches the bottom, hold the driver-s power window switch in the AUTO DOWN position for two seconds.
Move the driver-s power window all the way up without stopping by holding the driver-s power window switch firmly up to the second detent. When the window reaches the top, hold the driver-s power window switch in the AUTO UP position for two seconds.
NOTEIf the power window does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure.
- Make sure that the steering wheel is centered.
- Make sure that the steering wheel switches work properly.