- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Shift the transmission into the neutral position.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the transmission fluid. Discard the sealing washer. Be sure to use a new sealing washer when installing the drain plug.
Remove the front subframe stiffener.
- Remove the exhaust pipe and its mount.
- Remove the bolt securing the transfer breather hose bracket. Disconnect the breather hose from the breather pipe on the transfer case.
Matchmark and remove the driveshaft.
WARNINGAs required, properly support the transmission assembly. As required, position a suitable jack under the transfer case.
- Remove the transfer case retaining bolts. Remove the transfer case from the transmission.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to use new nuts and gaskets when installing the exhaust pipe.
- Refill the transfer case, if necessary, with the proper grade and type fluid.
- Refill the transmission with the proper grade and type fluid.
- Start the engine and check for leaks, correct as required.