REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Remove the rear console as follows:
- Remove the shifter trim panel and move out of the way.
- Open the ECM access door and remove the four rear pad attaching screws.
- Remove the cigar lighter and rear console assembly.
- Remove the ECM from the bracket.
- Remove the ECM electrical connectors. Be careful not damage the ECM terminals.
- Remove the ECM from the vehicle.
- Remove the access cover from the ECM.
- Remove the PROM or CALPAK by using a rocker type PROM removing tool. Engage one end of the carrier with the hooked end of the tool. Press on the vertical bar end of the tool and rock the engaged end of the PROM carrier up as far as possible. Engage the opposite end of the carrier in the same manner and rock this end up as far as possible. Repeat until the PROM is free. Remove the CALPAK in the same manner. Refer to the following illustration for help.
Before installing a new PROM or CALPAK, check for the same part numbers as the old one. Make sure the PROM is replaced in the PROM carrier/socket and the CALPAK into the CALPAK carrier/socket.
- Install the PROM or CALPAK into their respective locations using the PROM removal tool. Align the small notch of the carrier to the small notch in the socket. Press on the PROM carrier until it is firmly seated in the socket. Do NOT press on the PROM, only the carrier.
- Install the access cover.
- Connect the ECM electrical connectors and install the unit into the console bracket. Torque the screws to 14 inch.lb. (1.6 Nm).
- Install the rear console pad, cigar lighter and shifter trim panel.
- Reconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for proper operation.