The 1987-88 2.5L engine uses a force balancer assembly that is driven directly from the crankshaft. Two eccentrically weighted shafts and gears are counter rotated by a concentric gear on the crankshaft at twice the crankshaft speed. The balancer helps dampen engine vibration and includes a sump pick-up screen, a gerotor-type oil pump and an oil filter. The filter is serviced through an opening in the bottom of the oil pan.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter assembly.
- Remove the oil pan assembly as outlined in the Oil Pan removal procedures in this section.
- Remove the four force balancer attaching bolts and remove the balancer assembly. Refer to the force balancer illustrations in this section.
- Before installation, perform the following procedures:
- Rotate the engine to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the No. 1 and No. 4 cylinders.
- Measure from the block to the first cut of the double notch on the reluctor ring as shown in the Force Balancer Adjustments illustration in this section.
- The dimension should be 43mm.
- Mount the force balancer with the counterweights parallel and pointing away from the crankshaft. Do not move the crankshaft.
- Install the oil pan assembly as outlined in the Oil Pan installation procedures in this section.
- Refill the crankcase with the specified engine oil. Start the engine and check for oil leaks.