REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.
- Remove the torsional damper. Refer to the previous Timing Chain Cover procedures for accessory removal.
The inertia weight section of the torsional damper (harmonic balancer) is assembled to the hub with a rubber sleeve. A harmonic balancer puller No. J23523 or equivalent MUST be used so not to damage the rubber sleeve.
- Pry out the seal using a suitable seal removing tool.
- Lubricate the seal with clean engine oil.
- Insert the seal in the front cover with the lip facing the engine.
- Using Tool No. J23042 Seal Installer, drive the seal into place.
- Install the torsional damper and check for leaks.