REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.5L L4 Engine
- Remove the oil pan as described in the Oil Pan removal procedures.
- Remove the two flange mounting bolts and the nut from the main bearing cap bolt.
- Remove the pump and screen as an assembly.
- Align the pump shaft with the driveshaft tang. Torque the pump retaining bolts 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). Install the oil pan as previously shown.
1987-88 4-cylinder engines incorporate a force balance into the oil pump. The force balancer assembly does NOT have to be removed to service the oil pump or pressure regulator assemblies.
- Drain the crankcase oil and remove the oil pan and filter as outlined in the Oil Pan removal procedures in this section.
- Remove the restrictor, oil pump cover, oil pump gears and pressure regulator valve.
- Clean all sludge, oil and varnish from the pump assembly with carburetor cleaner or equivalent.
- Lubricate all parts with engine oil.
- Install the pump gears, pump cover and pressure regulator. Torque the pump cover bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the plug and pin and make sure the pin is properly seated.
- Clean and install the oil pump inlet screen, oil pan and new filter. Torque the oil pan bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Refill the crankcase with the specified engine oil. Start the engine and check for oil pressure and leaks.
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Drain the crankcase and remove the oil pan as outlined in the Oil Pan removal procedures in this section.
- Remove the flywheel shield or clutch housing cover.
- Remove the starter motor.
- Remove the oil pan as outlined in the Oil Pan removal procedures in this section.
- Remove the pump and driveshaft extension.
- Engage the driveshaft extension in the cover end of the distributor drive gear.
- Install the pump-to-rear bearing cap bolt and torque to 26-35 ft. lbs. (35-47 Nm).
- Install the oil pan as outlined in the Oil Pan section and refill with engine oil. Start the engine and check for oil leaks.