REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Remove the intake manifold as outlined in the "Intake Manifold" procedures in this section.
When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Remove the four pushrod cover attaching nuts.
Do not pry on the cover or damage to the sealing surface may result.
- To remove the pushrod cover, proceed as follows:
- Unscrew the four nuts from the cover attaching studs, reverse the two nuts so the washers face outward and screw them back onto the inner two studs. Assemble the remaining nuts to the same two inner studs with washers facing inward.
- Using a small wrench on the inner nut, on each stud, jam the two nuts tightly together. Again using the small wrench, on the inner nut, unscrew the studs until the cover breaks loose.
- After breaking the cover loose, remove the jammed nuts from each stud. Remove the cover from the studs. Examine the stud and rubber washer as