REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Remove the air conditioning compressor and bracket, without disconnecting the refrigerant lines, and position out of the way.
- Drain the engine coolant at the radiator. Remove the water pump. Refer to the Water Pump removal and installation procedures in this section.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
- Remove the torsional damper (harmonic balancer) with a harmonic balancer puller No. J23523 or equivalent.
- Remove the front oil pan-to-timing chain cover bolts.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the front cover by gently prying with a suitable prybar.
Make sure all the timing chain cover attaching bolts are removed before cover removal.To install:
- Before installing, clean the sealing surfaces on the front cover and cylinder block with a gasket scraper and solvent.
- Install a new gasket and apply a continuous 3mm bead of RTV sealer to the oil pan sealing surface of the front cover.
- Place the front cover on the engine and install the stud bolt and bolts. Torque the bolts to 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-41 Nm).
- Install the water pump as outlined in the Water Pump installation procedures. Torque the pump bolts to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-24 Nm).
- Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands.
- Install the oil pan-to-timing chain cover bolts and tighten.
- Install the torsional damper (harmonic balancer) and torque the bolt to 66-84 ft. lbs. (90-115 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the air conditioning compressor and bracket, accessory drive belt and tighten to the specification in the Belts portion of .
- Refill the radiator with the specified engine coolant. Connect the negative (-) battery cable and start the engine and check for coolant and oil leaks.