REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Remove the air conditioning compressor and bracket, without disconnecting the refrigerant lines, and position out of the way.
- Drain the engine coolant at the radiator. Remove the water pump. Refer to the Water Pump removal and installation procedures in this section.
When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
- Remove the torsional damper (harmonic balancer) with a harmonic balancer puller No. J23523 or equivalent.
The inertia weight section of the torsional damper (harmonic balancer) is assembled to the hub with a rubber sleeve. A harmonic balancer puller No. J23523 or equivalent MUST be used so not to damage the rubber sleeve.
- Remove the front oil pan-to-timing chain cover bolts.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the front cover by gently prying with a suitable prybar.
Make sure all the timing chain cover attaching bolts are removed before cover removal.To install:
The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.
- Before installing, clean the sealing surfaces on the front cover and cylinder block with a gasket scraper and solvent.
- Install a new gasket and apply a continuous 3mm bead of RTV sealer to the oil pan sealing surface of the front cover.
- Place the front cover on the engine and install the stud bolt and bolts. Torque the bolts to 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-41 Nm).
- Install the water pump as outlined in the Water Pump installation procedures. Torque the pump bolts to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-24 Nm).
- Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands.
- Install the oil pan-to-timing chain cover bolts and tighten.
- Install the torsional damper (harmonic balancer) and torque the bolt to 66-84 ft. lbs. (90-115 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the air conditioning compressor and bracket, accessory drive belt and tighten to the specification in the Belts portion of .
- Refill the radiator with the specified engine coolant. Connect the negative (-) battery cable and start the engine and check for coolant and oil leaks.