External Mounts and Linkage
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle and place in a suitable holding fixture. Refer to the "Manual Transaxle" removal and installation procedures in this .
- Remove the shift lever nut, do not allow the lever to move during removal of nut. Use a 3 / 8 inch drive wrench to hold the external shift lever.
- Remove the washer, lever, retainer, pivot pin and pivot, bolts and bracket, fluid level indicator and the electronic speedometer retainer and assembly.
- Remove the clutch disengage bearing.
- Remove the detent holder cover by puncturing the cover in the middle and prying off.
- Remove the detent holder bolts, holder, detent, springs and interlock pins.
- Remove the detent balls and bushing.
- Remove the detent cover snapring, cover, screw and outer spring seat and the 5th/reverse bias spring/inner spring seat.
- Remove the fifteen clutch housing retaining bolts.
- Transaxle must be in neutral. Remove the clutch housing by gently tapping the housing with a rubber hammer.
- Remove the differential gear assembly, magnet and bearing.
- Remove the shift shaft pin using a punch.
- Remove the shift shaft assembly consisting of the shaft, rollers, 1st/2nd bias spring and shift and reverse lever.
- Engage the gear cluster in 4th (A) and reverse (B) by pushing down on the gear rails.
- Remove the nine bearing retainer cover bolts and cover. Using tool J-36031, remove the bearing retainer Hex bolts and selective shim.
- Using tool J-36182-1 and J-36182l-2, position in a hydraulic press.
- Position the transaxle case and gear cluster assembly in the press. Align the shift rail and shaft pilots to the fixture.
- Position tool J-36185 on the shaft support bearings and pilots. Using the press, separate the shaft and gear clusters from the transaxle case.
- Remove the 1-2 shift rail assembly and lock pin.
- Remove the 3-4 shift rail assembly.
- Remove the 5th shift rail assembly and reverse assembly.
- Remove the shift gate and disengage roller.
UNIT DISASSEMBLY & REPAIR
- Important identify the blocker ring for the 3rd gear and 4th gear blocker ring. Do not mix the blocker rings.
- Remove the input shaft snapring before using the press.
- Remove 4th and 5th gears, bearings, race, blocker ring, synchronizer and gear using an arbor press.
- Remove the 3rd gear bearing.
- Clean all parts with solvent and blow dry with compressed air.
- Inspect; input shaft splines for cracks or wear, gear teeth for scuffed, nicked, burred or broken teeth, bearings for roughness of rotation, burred or pitted conditions and bearing races for scoring, wear or overheating. Inspect the synchronizers for scuffs, nicks, burrs or scoring. If any condition exists for any component, restore or replace the component. It is much easier to replace worn components while the transaxle is disassembled than when it is in the vehicle.
- Install the input bearing, 3rd gear with the cone up and blocker ring.
- Important: when pressing the 3-4 synchronizer assembly use the following:
- Start pressing the 3-4 synchro, stop before tang engages.
- Lift and rotate the gears into the synchro tangs.
- Continue to press until seated. Make sure all metal shavings are removed.
- Install the 3-4 synchro using tool J-22912-01, J-36183, J-36184 and a press. The side marked 3RD gear and small OD groove of the sleeve goes toward the 3rd gear.
- Install the bearing race and the bearing.
- Install the blocker ring, then the 4th gear with the cone down and then the 5th gear using the press. The 5th gear should be flat side down.
- Install the new snapring.
- Important: identify the blocker ring for 5th gear, ring for 2nd gear and ring for 1st gear. Do not mix the blocker rings.
- Remove the 5th/reverse synchronizer assembly using tool J-22912-01 and a press.
- Remove the blocker ring, 5th gear, bearing, thrust washer and ball.
- Remove the snapring.
- Remove the 1st gear, bearing, caged thrust bearing and thrust washer using tool J-36183 and a press. The 2nd gear, bearing, race, 1-2 synchro and blocker rings will press off with the 1st gear.
- Clean all parts with solvent and blow dry with compressed air.
- Inspect the output shaft for spline wear, cracks or excessive wear, gear teeth for scuffed, nicked, burred or broken teeth and bearings for roughness, burred or pitted conditions. If scuffed, nicked, burred or scored conditions can not be removed with fine crocus cloth or soft stone, replace the component.
- Install the thrust washer with the chamfer down, caged thrust bearing with the needles down, 1st gear bearing, 1st gear with the cone up and the blocker ring.
- Important: when pressing the 1-2 synchronizer assembly, start the press operation and stop before tangs engages. Lift and rotate gears to engage the blocker ring tangs. Continue to press until seated and make sure all metal shavings are removed.
- Install the 1-2 synchro using tool J-36183 and a press. The side marked 1st and small OD groove goes toward the 1st gear.
- Install the 2nd gear bearing race, bearing and 2nd gear with the cone down.
- Install the 3-4 gear cluster using tool J-36183 and a press. Position the large OD gear down.
- Install the new snapring, thrust washer positioning ball retained with petroleum jelly and the slotted thrust washer. Align the ID slot with ball.
- Install the 5th gear bearing and the 5th gear with the cone up. Install the blocker ring.
- Important: when pressing on the reverse gear and 5th synchro, start the press operation and stop before tangs engage. Lift and rotate the 5th gear and blocker ring (thrust washer must stay down) until the tangs engage.
- Install the 5th/reverse gear synchro assembly using tool J-36183 and a press.
Remove bearings and bushings only when there is evidence of damage and the component can not be reused.
- Remove snapring, plug, screw, spring and sliding sleeve.
- Remove bushing using tool J-36034 and J-36190.
- Remove detent lever, bushing and seal using a small prybar.
- Remove the shift shaft seal using tool J-36027.
- Remove the axle seal, outer race, plugs, input shaft support bearing and the output shaft support bearing.
- Remove the three shift rail bushing using tool J-36029, the reverse shift rail bushing by driving down and removing through the back-up light switch hole.
- Install the shift shaft bearing and seal using tool J-36189 and J-36190.
- Install the three shift rail bushing using tool J-36029.
- Install the reverse rail bushing using tool J-36030 and J-36190.
- Install the differential carrier outer race, axle seal and plugs.
- Install detent lever bushings, sliding sleeve bushing using tools J-36039 and J-36034.
- Install detent lever, sleeve, spring and screw tightened to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Install plug, snapring and stud with the chamfer end out torqued to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
- Place 1-2, 3-4, and 5th-reverse synchronizers in a separate shop towel. Wrap the assemblies and press against the inner hub.
- Clean with solvent and blow dry with compressed air.
- Inspect assemblies for worn or broken gear teeth, worn or broken keys and distorted or cracked balls and springs. If scuffed, nicked or burred condition can not be corrected with a soft stone or crocus cloth, replace the component.
- 1st-2nd gear synchro.
- 3rd-4th gear synchro.
- 5th gear synchro.