The pressure regulator assembly is a diaphragm operated relief valve with injector pressure on one side and manifold vacuum on the other. The regulator's function is to maintain constant pressure across the injectors at all times. The excess pressure is returned to the fuel tank through the fuel return line.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Relieve the fuel pressure as outlined below.
Fuel pressure relief procedures:
- connect a fuel gauge part No. J 34730-1 or equivalent to the fuel pressure valve on the fuel rail assembly. Wrap a towel around the fitting while connecting the gauge to prevent fuel spillage. Install the bleed hose into an approved container and open the valve to bleed the system pressure.
- Remove the six fuel pressure connection screws and remove the pressure regulator.
- Discard the connection seal.
- Clean the area around the fuel pressure connection with A/C Delco X-30A or equivalent.
- Install a new seal on the fuel pressure connection. Install the pressure regulator and torque the six attaching screws to 88 inch.lb. (10.0 Nm).
- Connect the negative (-) battery cable. Energize the fuel pump and check for fuel leaks.