REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Loosen the jam nut.
- Remove the tie rod-to-knuckle cotter pin and nut. Remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
GM recommends a special tool for this procedure. Tool No. J-24319 or BT-7101.
- Count the number of threads showing on the tie rod, inboard of the jam nut. This number will be a reference for installing the new tie rod end. Remove the outer tie rod.
- Thread the outer tie rod end onto the inner tie rod the same number of revolutions as removed.
- Install the outer tie rod end-to-knuckle and torque the nut to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
- Make sure the boot is not twisted then torque the jam nut to 50 ft. lbs. (70 Nm). Do not tighten the jam nut at this time.
- Adjust the toe-in by turning the inner tie rod. This procedure should be performed by a qualified alignment technician.