- Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.
- Place the gearshift in the P (park) position.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Remove the driver-s side engine and transaxle inner splash shield.
- Loosen the shift cable nut at the manual shift linkage rod.
- Verify that the manual shift linkage rod is in the P (park) position.
- Remove excess slack from the cable by pushing up on the end of the cable by hand.
- Tighten the shift cable nut to 8.7-10.8 ft. lbs. (11.8-14.7 Nm).
- Move the gearshift through all positions and check for proper operation.
- Install the splash shield.
- Lower the vehicle.
Verify that the engine will only start with the gearshift in the