Mercury Villager 1993-2000
Nissan Quest 1993-2000
Removal & Installation
- Remove the front wheel cover.
- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts.
Remove the hub nut cotter pin and discard it. Remove the hub nut retainer, if applicable, and loosen the hub nut.
- Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the hub nut and washer.
- Remove the brake caliper. DO NOT disconnect the brake hose. Please refer to Brakes, Disc Brakes, Brake Caliper, Removal and Installation for the procedure. Support the caliper on a piece of wire from a nearby support such as the strut.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Remove the front anti-lock brake (ABS) sensor bolt and position the sensor out of the way.
- Remove the cotter pin and the castellated nut from the outer tie rod end. Discard the cotter pin.
- Separate the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle using an appropriate tie rod end remover.
- Remove the lower ball joint cotter pin and discard it.
- Loosen the lower ball joint nut until it contacts the outboard CV-joint.
- While pulling down on the lower control arm, strike the steering knuckle where the ball joint stud is with a brass or other soft hammer until the ball joint separates from the knuckle.
- Remove the lower ball joint nut.
Using a suitable prybar, carefully pry the lower control arm down and separate the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle.
WARNINGNever use a hammer to separate the outboard CV-joint shaft from the hub. Damage to the CV-joint threads and internal components may result.
- Remove the CV-joint shaft from the hub assembly. If necessary, a suitable puller may be used to aid in the removal of the halfshaft from the hub assembly.
- Remove the two strut-to-steering knuckle bolts and nuts and discard the nuts. Disengage the strut from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the front wheel hub, knuckle, and bearing assembly from the vehicle.
- Position the wheel hub, knuckle, and bearing assembly on the outboard CV-joint shaft.
- Guide the knuckle into the front strut and install the two knuckle-to-strut bolts. Install new nuts and tighten them to 94-109 ft. lbs. (127-147 Nm).
- Place the outer tie rod end stud into the steering knuckle.
- Install the castellated nut onto the outer tie rod end stud and tighten it to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm). Continue to tighten the nut until a new cotter pin can be inserted through the hole in the stud. Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the lower ball joint in the knuckle and tighten the nut to 52-64 ft. lbs. (71-86 Nm). Continue to tighten the nut until a new cotter pin can be inserted through the hole in the stud. Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the front wheel hub washer and nut. Tighten the nut until it is snug.
- Install the ABS sensor and tighten the bolt to 16-21 inch lbs. (1.8- 2.4 Nm).
- Install the front brake rotor and install the disc brake caliper. Tighten the caliper bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (24-34 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tighten the lug nuts until they are snug.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Tighten the lug nuts to 72-87 ft. lbs. (98-118 Nm).
- Tighten the hub nut to 174-231 ft. lbs. (235-314 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
- Pump the brake pedal slowly to seat the front brake pads. Do not move the vehicle until a firm pedal is obtained.
- A front end alignment is recommended.