Mercury Villager 1993-2000
Nissan Quest 1993-2000
Removal & Installation
Be sure that new strut-to-steering knuckle nuts, ball joint cotter pin, hub nut cotter pin, outer tie rod end cotter pin are available. These parts lose their torque holding/retention capabilities during removal and must not be reused.
- Remove the front wheel cover.
- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts.
Remove the hub nut cotter pin and discard it. Remove the hub nut retainer, if applicable, and loosen the hub nut.
- Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the hub nut and washer.
- Remove the brake caliper. DO NOT disconnect the brake hose. Please refer to Brakes, Disc Brakes, Brake Caliper, Removal and Installation for the procedure. Support the caliper on a piece of wire from a nearby support such as the strut.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Remove the front anti-lock brake (ABS) sensor bolt and position the sensor out of the way.
- Remove the cotter pin and the castellated nut from the outer tie rod end. Discard the cotter pin.
- Separate the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle using an appropriate tie rod end remover.
- Remove the lower ball joint cotter pin and discard it.
- Loosen the lower ball joint nut until it contacts the outboard CV-joint.
- While pulling down on the lower control arm, strike