Adjust the accelerator and cruise control cables as follows:
- Loosen the cable locknut.
- Tighten the adjusting nut until the throttle drum starts to move.
- Loosen the adjusting nut 1 1 / 2 -2 turns.
While holding the cable and adjusting nut in place, tighten the locknut to 69-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the radiator and recycle the engine coolant.
- Remove the air cleaner-to-intake manifold hose.
- Disconnect the throttle position sensor electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable.
- Disconnect the cruise control cable.
- Disconnect the EVAP canister-to-throttle body vacuum hose from the throttle body.
- Disconnect the EGR control solenoid vacuum hose from the throttle body.
- Disconnect the coolant hoses from the throttle body.
- Remove the four Allen head throttle body bolts.
- Remove the throttle body and gasket.
- Remove the two throttle position sensor screws and remove the sensor from the throttle body.
The installation is the reverse of removal, but please note the following important steps.
WARNINGDo not clean the inside of the throttle body or throttle plate. The use of a wire brush or solvent may damage the protective coating that is used to prevent the build-up of deposits.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces. A gasket scraper and solvent may be used, however, be careful not to nick or gouge either surface.
- Use a new gasket.
- When installing the throttle position sensor to the throttle body, temporarily tighten the screws to 17-21 inch lbs. (2.0-2.4 Nm).
When installing the throttle body bolts, tighten them in two stages as follows:
- Tighten all four bolts to 80-97 inch lbs. (9-11 Nm).
- Tighten all four bolts to 13-16 ft. lbs. (18-22 Nm).
- Adjust the accelerator and cruise control cables, if needed.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Adjust the engine idle speed. Please refer to General Information and Maintenance, Routine Maintenance and Tune-Up, Idle Speed and Mixture Adjustments, Base Idle Speed Adjustment for the procedure.
Adjust the throttle position sensor. Please refer to Driveability and Emission Controls, Electronic Engine Controls, Throttle Position Sensor, Adjustment for the procedure.